Re: USB/ethernet in Network Info

On 7/12/2011 12:20 PM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> The only wired type defined in the current Network Information API draft
> is "ethernet":
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/netinfo/

> Should there also be a "usb" type"?

In most cases when you use usb you're actually using usb-ethernet.

> or should they be abstracted away into a "wired" type?

Please note that this isn't my company's opinion. And I'm supposed to be
reviewing WebIDL today...

I think my preference is for things like:
- is it one to one
- is it reliable
- how much bandwidth
- how much latency
- how much cost

Cellular would be identifiable by the <reliable> field which could
either be a boolean (<false>) or a retransmission factor (some floating
point number well over 1?), and an indicator of bandwidth (the g's would
map to this), and indication of latency (this would end up being medium
but would probably be a rough number in ms), and cost (this could be
something like 100 [meaning 100000dollars/gb]).

Cable would be identifiable by other values (higher bandwidth, lower
latency, lower cost [10dollars/gb?])

Satellite by other values (in between bandwidth, much higher latency,
dunno about cost, but probably at least higher than cable, possibly
higher than cellular).

One-to-one is yes for DSL and certain other technologies and no for
things like Cable or token-ring-ethernet. Whether something is one to
one is basically an indicator of will there be collisions on the local
link and is there resource contention on that link.

Is there a use cases document? I think offhand that the questions to be
answered mostly fall into:
* how much data can i get in time t?
* how much does it cost to get that data?
* how practical is it for me to do some form of real-time-communication
(IM, VoIP, VideoChat)

Note that the 'g' labels are poor as there's a history of rebranding
[1] them. (There are better references documenting an actual long
history, but I can't find a good reference for that offhand.)

[1]
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-carriers/rogers-announces-4g-network-rebranding/