I18N-ISSUE-69: Support for reading/phonetic/pronunciation fields [Contacts API]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:50:06 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org,public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-69: Support for reading/phonetic/pronunciation fields [Contacts API]

Raised by: Koji Ishii
On product: Contacts API

Section 4.4: ContactName
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/#idl-def-ContactName

WG Approved: Yes

The fields defined in the ContactName interface do not include fields for "pronunciation" (also called variously "furigana", "reading", or "phonetic"). These fields are necessary to support East Asian cultures and names, since the pronunciation information is important for both sorting/organizing names (Chinese and Japanese ideographs do not contain this information directly).

Many vendors support this via proprietary X- extension fields. Lack of interchange for these fields represents a significant barrier for global name catalogs.

Please add optional pronunciation fields for at least the family and given name fields.