RE: Contacts API updates

Hi Anssi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Anssi Kostiainen [mailto:anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:44 AM

Hi,

On 12.1.2011, at 17.34, ext Suresh Chitturi wrote:

> The issue I see with this approach is that it has nothing to do with
the standard we are defining in terms of the API itself and is only
informative to show how scripts can create a vCard and set the href. Am
I missing something?

First, we should reuse established existing standards (e.g. the data URI
scheme). Second, we should make the common use case (i.e. reading) easy
and provide enough extension points for the less-common use cases (i.e.
writing) to build on top.

Suresh>> to me write use cases are equally (or sometimes more) important
than read use cases but I understand the need to come out with a simple
API first.

If the API is too high-level developers are forced in a given direction
that they may or may not like (and thus ignore it). Making the common
use case simple and less-common use cases possible is the "mid-level"
I'd like to aim at.

Suresh>> I'd prefer to have a good API that we can offer than such
'mid-level' approaches. As far as implementations, in the past we have
see PhoneGap status and other inputs that support such methods, and
honestly I don't believe it is too complicated to define an API nor a
major deviation such approach will cause to UI paradigms used in the web
in either seeking user's permission or throwing a dialog.

It's hard to get a high-level API right. If that'd be easy we would not
have that many JavaScript libraries out there.

Suresh>> The real reason for this in my opinion is the timing or lack of
standard APIs which often come out late to the market.