Re: no longer possible to detect battery presence? RE: Battery API in Last Call

From: Philip Gladstone <pgladstone@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:16:01 -0500
To: public-device-apis@w3.org

On 12/2/2011 8:32 AM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> You seem to complain because the API doesn't let the webapp know if
> there is a battery or not in the device but do you actually need that?
> If yes, I would be interested in the use case. While discussing this,
> the only use case that was mentioned was a system UI for the battery
> which is a tiny use case that could be fulfilled with another API or a
> future version of the API (very likely requiring permissions).

There are cases when the device cannot figure out the runtime left, and
yet it does have a battery. Consider a handheld device like an advanced
TV remote control (think Harmony on steroids). It might only contain a
primary cell (i.e. not rechargeable). The remaining runtime is
critically dependent on what the usage of the device is. Probably the
runtime is unknowable until right near the end. I know that batteries in
my remote controls last from months to years (at least an order of
magnitude difference). Part of this may be that sometimes I put in cheap
batteries. Sometimes the kids jam the remote controls by the side of the
chairs and I suspect that the buttons get held down.

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone
Distinguished Engineer