Re: New approach to HTML Media Capture

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>>
>> Back in December, Robin Berjon asked for feedback on the proposed way
>> forward for HTML Media Capture, a proposed mechanism to prompt the user
>> to record media from attached cameras and microphones instead of loading
>> from the file system:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0064.html
>>
>> We've published last week an update to the document that, instead of
>> using a "capture" parameter as part of the accept attribute value
>> specifies a new "capture" attribute for <input type="file">:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html-media-capture-20110414/
>
> I still don't understand what problem this is solving.

This issue is twelve years old now. There have been at least four
prototype implementations for major browsers which haven't made it
into official releases, because there has been no explicit guidance in
the HTML specification that file input should come from a device
instead of the filesystem.  At this point I don't see any reason to
believe that it ever will be implemented until there is such a
specification.

Sincerely,
James Salsman