Re: Getting browser vendors involved prior to basing work on their products/ideas

In case you are talking about "submission" in the sense of a "W3C Member
Submission", please note the Process Document says the following:

[[
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/submission.html#SubmissionScope

11.1.1 Scope of Member Submissions

When a technology overlaps in scope with the work of a chartered Working
Group, Members SHOULD participate in the Working Group and contribute
the technology to the group's process rather than seek publication
through the Member Submission process.
]]

This is, IMHO, consistent with the spirit of the W3C Patent Policy which
effectively says if a Member wants their input included in a
Recommendation track document, that Member should join the relevant WG
(and hence agree to the Patent Policy for all the specs created by the WG).

-AB