Re: Widgets - WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:09:49 +0100
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
CC: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Arthur Barstow wrote:

>  On 9/20/10 9:15 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> Widgets are just a simple packaging format with
>> a fairly simple API for storing stuff and getting some metadata.
> Every time I read one of these discussions I lament the decision to
> change the original name of the spec "Web Application Packaging Format"
> [WAPF] to "widgets".

What's the fundamental difference between a Widget and a Web
Application? What's the distinction?

I guess I'm asking if what I think of a "Web Application"
(HTML5+webapps+js etc) is different in some way to what a "Widget" is,
perhaps different use-cases / implementations in mind when these specs
were written?

Best,

Nathan