Re: Widgets - WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures

On 9/20/10 2:43 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> What problem would widget packaging solve compared to using the HTML5
>> application cache? Do you want to distribute the application as an
>> off-line file instead of making going to the Web site the first step
>> of the installation process?

Good questions, Henri.

> I think it would be unfair of me to reply to both Henri and Marcos'
> request for usecases and comparison to Application Cache off the cuff as
> it were.
>
> I'll pull some time aside and write up usecases + possible approaches to
> each one and reply back at a later date with a more considered response.

No probs, Nathan.

Basically, it comes down to control:

AppCache = website controls update process.

Widgets = stored "forever" (like a CD or other ol' school media). User
can sometimes control when the app is updated. Don't always require a
server.

That's about it. There is a time an a place for each - they don't really
compete with each other. Widgets are just a simple packaging format with
a fairly simple API for storing stuff and getting some metadata. It just
happens that they can use the awesomeness of HTML5.

--
Marcos Caceres
Opera Software