Network interface (was: Draft minutes 2010-09-15)

Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010 à 18:18 -0700, James Salsman a écrit :
> I would prefer that the network device expose the following
> information about its connection:
> Especially in multi-homing situations, this would allow users of the
> network device API to optimize network selection based on user
> activity.

Could you develop somewhat this use case, possibly with a user story?

> 1. Able to send IP packets (as a bandwidth)
> 2. Able to receive IP packets (as a bandwidth)

Isn't that the same as maxDownloadBandwith and maxUploadBandwith?

> 3. Round-trip-time statistics
> 4. End-to-end delivery compatibility (e.g., NAT-free)
> 5. Network neutrality (e.g., conforming to IANA/ICANN DNS authorities
> without address translation)
> 6. Secure-compatibility (e.g., able to send HTTPS traffic without overhead)
> 7. Expectation of privacy (e.g. via carriers with satisfactory privacy
> policies and without a history of eavesdropping)
> 8. Cost per bit

Do you know of any existing network API that allows to access this type
of information?

My feeling is that these properties are both hard to obtain in most
cases, and too advanced for SysInfo; that said, if there is sufficient
prior art in developing this kind of APIs, they could be included as
part of a separate more advanced Network API, but I don't think they are
so fundamental that they should delay our progress on SysInfo.

Dom