Re: Widgets - WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures

Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>> cc: public-webapps
>>
>> Hi Claes,
>>
>> Nilsson, Claes1 wrote:
>>> Hi Nathan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for clarifying your proposal.
>>>
>>> I interpret you so that you are proposing standardization of a general
>>> concept of "packaged and installed web applications". Something like
>>> http://code.google.com/chrome/apps/docs/index.html plus additional features
>>> from widgets specifications.
>>>
>>> This is something that can have a value by several reasons, for example:
>>> * Whole application package or only manifest/configuration file could be
>>> digitally signed.
>>> * Permission to use APIs could be given at installation time.
>>> * Manifest/configuration file could define network access limitations.
>>> * Web application marketing/deployment/charging advantages.
>>> I agree that the specifications you mention are applicable for a general
>>> concept of "packaged and installed web applications" but I believe that
>>> currently most people have the view that "widgets" are "packaged and
>>> installed web applications" that run small "live" applications on the home
>>> screen. However, what does the widgets specifications actually say? I
>>> haven't digged into the documents in detail but are they not already
>>> enabling a general concept of "packaged and installed web applications"?
>>> So far there has been a distinction between "browser", running dynamic
>>> content on web sites and "widget user agent", running installed web widgets.
>>> Reading you original mail in this thread you say:
>>> " Simply wondering why WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures aren't
>>> used to deploy js applications which run in the main browser context?".
>>>
>>> So, what are you actually proposing?
>>>
>>> * Update to HTML5 to support "packaged and installed web applications" in
>>> the "main browser context"?
>>> Plus
>>> * Updates to the Widgets specifications to enable the more general concept
>>> of "packaged and installed web applications"?
>> I'm proposing something before that, to consider whether "packaged and
>> installed web applications" should be considered and if it would be viable +
>> gain support from the main browser vendors, then to look at exactly how. I'd
>> loosely suggest that the work done on the Widgets specifications could be
>> re-used, forked or even that the Widgets specifications were re-scoped to
>> general client side web applications and aligned with the other work being
>> done within web-apps, html5 and device-apis. Ultimately it just seemed to me
>> like much of the heavy lifting has already been done under the banner of
>> widgets.
>
> I thought that is what we had done already? I don't get it.
>
>>> Furthermore, do we really want "packaged and installed web applications"
>>> to run by the same user agent, i.e. the normal browser as normal website
> [...]

Maybe I've missed part of the specifications - are you telling me that I
can package up an HTML,CSS,JS based application as per the widgets
specification, include a WARP, Digital Signature, set the view-mode to
windowed and that this will run as is, in the main browser context of
the main browser vendors (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, IE etc)?

Regards,

Nathan