Re: doodle (Re: Scheduling calendaring coordination call.)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:33:45 +0200
Cc: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>, Rich Tibbett <rich.tibbett@gmail.com>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com>
On Sep 8, 2010, at 01:06 , Rich Tibbett wrote:
>>    an X-USER-CALENDAR extension (which we'd define) be included to specify which calendaring system to use when displaying the event?
>>
> This could be good, though perhaps a client will just choose to display an event based on the current user's locale rather than on the original format used to specify the event.

I don't have the experience on this specific topic to speak on behalf of the users who are affected by this, but in my experience locales are an absolutely dreadful way of handling mixed internationalisation contexts, of which I believe this is an instance.

If you live in an area in which the traditional calendar is non-Gregorian, chances are you have to sometimes use the traditional calendar (say, for birthdays), and sometimes Gregorian (e.g. for telcons)  and which system is used for which event matters. That's why I think a hint tends to be better (though it has its own issues), locales can't handle that sort of subtlety, and quickly become annoying.

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko  hired gun, higher standards