Re: Phono — potential use case

Hi Robin,

Phono is one of our products at Voxeo that we have just launched in
beta. Our goal is to create an open flexible api for real-time
communications that is independent of the underlying technology or
vendor, and to work with standards as much as possible (especially IETF
and W3C -- Dan Burnett, our Director of Standards and Speech
Technologies at Voxeo, is chair of the HTML Speech Incubator and Voice
Browser Working Groups and will be at TPAC next week and IETF 79 the
following week.)

Most of the current Phono implementation is actually already in
javascript - the call signaling is all carried using XMPP over BOSH
direct from javascript. For the initial release we used flash as a
mechanism to gain access to the microphone and stream audio, but we
intend to support multiple mechanisms going forward (java is in the
pipeline) and ultimately use whatever the browser can make available to
us. There are more details of our current implementation here:
http://blog.phono.com/2010/10/25/behind-the-phone/

Neil