Re: Sys Info network attributes

On 20 May 2010, at 14:52, Brian LeRoux wrote:

>> I'd be interested in seeing the specific use cases. In particular: *What* is it that you really want to uniquely identify?  The network
>> interface? The user?  The device?
>
> Imagine an app where ppl anonymously log complaints to a location. It
> drops a pin on the map. Everyone elses complaints are a white pin. The
> pin for your comment would be blue!

The typical way to solve this would be cookies, local storage, or other mechanisms that the site can use.  This is not a use case for a unique, portable user identifier (which the mac address effectively is).

To your point about mac address spoofing: The question isn't whether it's possible, but whether it's a viable way to address the tracking concerns.  Nobody is disputing that it's possible.  But it isn't something people commonly do (or, for that matter, that people commonly should do).