Re: Property names vs. interface names

On May 10, 2010, at 15:38 , Max Froumentin wrote:
> So let me ask at large, and summarise the issue.
> SysInfo deals with Properties (CPU, PowerSource, InputDevice)
> which are named in function calls, e.g. get("CPU", callback).
> The callback then receive an object that represent that property,
> defined by an interface, e,g,
> interface CPU {
>  float load
> }
>
> Using the same name for the property and its interface is confusing (for reasons explained in this thread). So what's a good way of naming them?

I am not convinced that it's confusing :) Most (in fact all I guess) the interfaces defined in this specification are not intended to be exposed to authors (or did I miss something?). Authors ought to only see the property name. The type name might show up in debugging, but I don't think that that'll be confusing.

This leaves open the possibility that it will be confusing to implementers. I'm not certain that that's such a big risk, is it?

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards