Re: Updates to File API

On 5/13/10 7:37 AM, David Levin wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Arun Ranganathan<arun@mozilla.com>  wrote:
>

>> Greetings WebApps WG,
>>
>> I have updated the editor's draft of the File API to reflect changes that
>> have been in discussion.
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI
>>
>> Notably:
>>
>> 1. Blobs now allow further binary data operations by exposing an
>> ArrayBuffer property that represents the Blob.
>>

> Does this imply *sync* access to the blob data? "new
> DataArray(blob.blobBuffer).getInt8(0);"

Sync. access to a Blob shouldn't be allowed; this is a *big* oversight
on my part, and I think how the property is exposed should be considered
better.
> Also, does it imply the ability to modify the blob contents? (If so, what
> does this mean when there is a file backing it?)
> "new DataArray(blob.blobBuffer).setInt8(0, 0);"

This is part of the same oversight (evident in the editor's draft).

I think this aspect of things should be left to BlobBuilder or FileWriter.

-- A*