RE: CaptureAPI initial comments

Yes, the initial intent was that a separate app such as camera app is launched. We had discussion on the WG about that this model might not be sufficient for some of the use cases.  There were also discussions on embedded viewfinder, which has its own implication of security/privacy issues.

Dzung Tran

From: public-device-apis-request@w3.org [mailto:public-device-apis-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Philip Gladstone
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 12:56 PM
To: Rik Sagar
Cc: Ilkka Oksanen; public-device-apis@w3.org
Subject: Re: CaptureAPI initial comments

On 26-Mar-10 15:05, Rik Sagar wrote:

I have the impression - after re-reading this CaptureAPI spec. - that it's targeting an model where an application is 'cross-launching' a separate camcorder or audio recording application.  Is that a valid assumption?  In contrast, I was capture objects would be something included in the app, similar to how we now embed a HTMLAudioElement , via new Audio(), or HTMLVideoElement.   That may be why I have a longer list of events I want to expose.  In my scenario, specifying a callback for each when calling captureVideo() does not seem feasible.

Yes, the model is that a separate app is launched -- and this is a huge limitation of the current approach. It means that you cannot do things like build a video phone app (or even voice only phone app) or any augmented reality apps.

Philip

--

Philip Gladstone

Distinguished Engineer

Product Development

pgladstone@cisco.com<mailto:pgladstone@cisco.com>

Phone: +1 978-ZEN-TOAD (+1 978 936 8623)

Google: +1 978 800 1010

Ham radio: N1DQ

Cisco.com - http://www.cisco.com

For corporate legal information go to: