Re: ACTION-129: Expressing timezones in the Calendar API

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:00:02 +0100
To: richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
> 	attribute Date? start;
> 	attribute Date? end;
> 	attribute DOMString? tz;
> }
>
> - 'start' and 'end' become standard Date objects
> - 'tz' can be either:
> 	- an Olson timezone identifier [3] (e.g. 'America/Los_Angeles')
> 	- a CalConnect Timezone URI identifier [4] (still under
> development but included for future proofing the API)

Thanks for looking into this! 2 comments:
- I think we should choose either the Olson identifier, or the URI one,
but not mix them both up in a single field; I would personally suggest
using the Olson identifier for v1
- I'm slightly uncomfortable with binding the whole event to a timezone
rather than to the specific dates that are defined in it (start, end,
reminders, and recurrence limits); use cases that require binding to the
dates rather than events are somewhat convoluted, but it seems like bad
design to separate a datetime from its timezone in general. Also, since
we mentioned other cases where we would need a "timezoned" datetime
(e.g. reception times for messages), I still think we should work on
TimezoneDate object rather than adding this on the side for events

Dom