Re: SystemInfo: DisplayDevice

From: Max Froumentin <maxfro@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:28:43 +0100
To: "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
CC: "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On 23/03/2010 23:56, Tran, Dzung D wrote:
> The attribute orientation, brightness, contrast and blanked should be "readonly".

Ah, but should they?

I didn't have the time to mention it at the meeting, but one issue is
whether the set() function is actually useful. Reviewing the list of
properties, there are few for which it arguably makes sense to modify.

CPU.load (for throttling)
Network.activeConnection
Network.maxDownloadBandwidth
Network.maxUploadBandwidth
Connection.apn
Connection.operatorName
Connection.mnc
StorageUnit.isReadWrite
Display.orientation
Display.brightness
Display.contrast
Display.blanked
Display.dotsPerInchW
Display.dotsPerInchH
Speaker.volumeLevel
InputDevices.activePointingDevices
InputDevices.activeKeyboards
InputDevices.activeCameras
InputDevices.activeMicrophones

Yes, some are quite far-fetched, but I listed them for the sake of
argument. If we found that _none_ of them should be settable, then we
should get rid of set(). But do we not want to be able to set the
brightness, for instance, according to the intensity of the ambient light?

I have noted the issue in the specification.

Max.