RE: Lunisolar on Icalendar, Vcalendar, Vcal

Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> Le jeudi 18 mars 2010 à 11:56 +0100,
> richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com a écrit :
> > This gets more interesting when we get to recurring events.
> I suggest
> > that lunar dates can be captured in the recurence object, only that
> > lunar based recurrence will result in more verbose
> recurrence objects
> > (i.e.
> > converting
> > lunar recurrences to solar dates and storing those specific
> dates as
> > part of the recurrence object).
>
> That only works if this a recurrence with a defined end date (e.g. not
> for a birthday that you would like to get registered indefinitely).

What I'm pushing back on is doing something unprecedented across Calendaring Formats/Systems. I'd like to see this issue picked up in iCalendar/CalDAV/vCard/etc and then let it naturally 'bubble' to our APIs.

Today we could make following addition to the CalendarEventProperties interface [1]:

[NoInterfaceObject]
interface CalendarEventProperties {
	attribute DOMString? scale;
}

"'scale' defines the calendar scale used for the calendar information specified in this Calendar object. The default value is "GREGORIAN". The Gregorian calendar scale is assumed if this property is not specified."

With the following note applied to the description of CalendarEvent.save() [2]:

"An ErrorCallback with code RECURRING_LUNAR_NOT_SUPPORTED will be generated if a recurring Lunar appointment is attempted to be saved to Calendar. To avoid this error, the CalendarEventProperties 'scale' attribute MUST be set to 'GREGORIAN' instead of 'LUNAR'."

But honestly, I'd really prefer not to include this in the current spec. It's critical we address this going forward but short of a *complete technical proposal* for lunar recurring events, ideally also supported in common calendaring systems/formats, I'm wary of getting in to partial solutions at all.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/calendar/Overview.html#idl-def-CalendarEventProperties

[2] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/calendar/Overview.html#widl-CalendarEvent-save

- Richard

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.