Re: Contacts API and storage awareness (Re: ACTION-54)

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:34:17 +0000
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On 3 March 2010 14:22, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) <BS3131@att.com> wrote:
> Re "hiding this feature richness from the web developer is a good thing": as described, this would not meet the requirements of the use cases. The webapp needs to know what the source/target is in order for there to be a deterministic user experience which meets the user preferences.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I can't see why a webapp need to
distinguish between device-specifics or even SIM-limitations when
contacts are involved; especially when modern contact APIs on
smartphones are hiding these details completely in favor for a simple
and uniform contact API.

My comment was just about the decision how much control one wants to
expose to web apps regarding a contact API. And I think lesser control
is better in this case, because it makes it easier to write content
for such an API and leaves the tricky bits to the layer/part that
"knows best" about the device specifics.

Just my personal opinion.

Kind regards,
Anselm