Re: Capture API question

From: Ilkka Oksanen <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:14:52 +0300
To: ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
CC: "arun@mozilla.com" <arun@mozilla.com>, "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>, "Ingmar.Kliche" <Ingmar.Kliche@telekom.de>, Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Brad Lassey <blassey@mozilla.com>, Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>, "khuey@mozilla.com" <khuey@mozilla.com>
On 18.06.10 11:14, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>  Le mercredi 16 juin 2010 à 17:38 -0700, Arun Ranganathan a écrit :
> > Questions:
> >
> > * Could we proceed with a web model that only looks at File API,
> > MediaFile (and FormatData) as level 1 for capturing stills, short
> > videos, and audios?  The level 1 specification should provide
> > guidance on what the invocation syntax in HTML is for these input
> > and capture devices.  We should discuss this in HTML5 via relevant
> >  public-html threads, if not already spawned. * Could we flesh out
> >  use cases for ViewFinder and introduce it later? I can see it as
> > useful for other streaming use cases. * There could be, as Robin
> > proposes, an API for what he's called the "Trusted" scenarios
> > (including installable apps).  It could layer gracefully on top of
> >  level 1 or so.
>
>  This sounds like a good plan to me, at least. Dzung, Ingmar, Ilkka,
>  would one of you mind having a stab at re-formulating the Capture
>  API into what Arun describes as Level 1 above? This would mean
>  scraping 1.1, 3.1, 3.4 to 3.14, and massaging the remaining into a
>  coherent set.

I partially agree. ViewFinder interface was added to the API to
address the feedback we received earlier. I have no problems removing
it if there is now consensus that it can go to v2.

I'm not still sure if it is reasonable to completely delete the
programmatic way to initiate the capture process. Only two capture
options exist currently but I expect that there will be need to add
more soon. JavaScript API enables better extendability and I think
therefore it should be part of the spec from the initial version.

          -ilkka