Re: Updates to File API

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:
> Arun:
>
> In the latest version of the spec I see that readAsDataURL, alone
> among the readAs* methods, still takes a File rather than a Blob.  Is
> that just an oversight, or is that an intentional restriction?

Having readAsDataURL take a File made sense when .url and .type lived
on File rather than Blob. Now that Blobs have .types I agree that
readAsDataURL should be able to read from a Blob.

But, as you say, I think .url solves most of the use cases. One
usecase I can still think of is a web based HTML editor which allows
inserting images. These images could be included inline in the main
document using data-urls which allows the document to be saved/sent as
a single document, rather than HTML + a pile of images.

/ Jonas