System Information for IP service activation (was RE... changes to sysinfo...)

From: James Salsman <jsalsman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:43:23 -0700
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
To summarize my position on this topic, I am reiterating my proposal
for additions to the System Information and Events API specification
-- http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/ -- necessary to complete
ACTION-183, "Drop connections[] and activeConnection, move to
activeConnections[] and define clearly what 'active' means" --
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/183

In order to define which connections in a multi-homing or similar
situation are active, I suggest that the following information is
necessary:

1. Ability to send IP packets (as a bandwidth)

2. Ability to receive IP packets (as a bandwidth)

3. Round-trip-time statistics

4. And end-to-end delivery compatibility flag (e.g., NAT-free traversal)

5. Network neutrality flag (e.g., conforming to IANA/ICANN DNS authorities
without address translation or managed service degradation)

6. Secure-compatibility flag (e.g., able to send HTTPS traffic without overhead)

7. Expectation of privacy flag (e.g. via carrier has a satisfactory privacy
policies and is known to operate without eavesdropping)

8. Cost of service

I believe that AT&T has objected to 6 and 7, claiming that they are
out of scope.

I would like to ask the group:  Do you want to live in a world where
your internet device selects the active connection using this
information or not?

Regards,
James Salsman