Re: New filesystem/directory API proposal

What you propose seems like a ton of added complexity in the browser, and I
don't get why it is necessary. Adding another level of indirection would
slow things down, and generally give people enough rope to hang themselves
on corner cases when the actual use cases for this are extremely small. Is
there actually any use case for creating a filename that doesn't conform to
the restrictions proposed? (I'm assuming that if such a file already exists
on disk, you will be able to access it somehow, either by the user selecting
it with <input type=file> or by the DeviceFS?)

I really dislike the idea of the filesystem being opaque to the user. If
someone is on a device that has a filesystem browser (e.g. a desktop
computer), they should be able to browse to see what the heck webapps are
storing on their computer, without having to consult some database for name
translations. Similarly, if I want iTunes to be able to index my
lala.com"filesystem", I want it to have access to the actual names.

My $0.02