Re: New filesystem/directory API proposal

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:32:11 +0100, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:

> I took out the zip operation for now, as I'm not sure what the use cases
> are. Zip and unzip can be written in JavaScript [e.g.
> http://jszip.stuartk.co.uk/].
> If speed will be an issue, please respond with use cases.

Use cases for having zip in:

1. Widgets are zip files, and being able to traverse directly into the zip
without explicitly decompressing it is awfully convenient.
2. Ditto for epub
3. and ODF
4. also OOXML

I guess what I'm getting at here is that there are a lot of document types
that applications will want to peek inside, for which having transparent
zip support is extremely convenient. Any effort spent on our part here is
going to save a lot of work for other developers in the future.

--
Arve Bersvendsen