Re: New filesystem/directory API proposal

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:02:32 +0100
To: "Eric Uhrhane" <ericu@google.com>, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:32:11 +0100, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:

> What the app sees should be a
> case-insensitive, case-preserving filesystem.  That's easy to implement
> on top of the most-commonly-used filesystems, and not hard to emulate on
> case-sensitive systems.  Problems due to interactions with applications
> running outside the browser should be extremely rare and minor.

On case-sensitive file systems, this would leave an application unable to
correctly resolve and distinguish a file system entry named 'foo' where
there is another entry named 'Foo'. Without even attempting to speak for
anyone else, I've had this situation occur on multiple instances when
re-digitizing my old music collection: The older rip would simply have
different capitalization from the newer one.
--
Arve Bersvendsen