Re: Publishing System Information API FPWD

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:02:38 +0100
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Max Froumentin <maxfro@opera.com>, "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, 'Robin Berjon' <robin@robineko.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
On 29 Jan 2010, at 18:57, Tran, Dzung D wrote:

> place away from where you would hold the device. On mobile phone the proximity sensor is usually in front, but that does not precluded a device from having one on the back. The one use case is that the proximity sensor is in the front screen and you hold it up to your face, the display goes dark to save power.
>
> I have suggested in my previous posting to add a parameter to specify if the sensor is front or back.

Is "front" or "back" really the information we're looking for?

Or is "display is obscured", "device is sitting on the table" and the like the information we're after?

It strikes me that for existing devices, we kind of know how to deal with a proximity sensor that notices an obscured display.  Perhaps we should leave it at that, and not introduce an API for an arbitrary proximity sensor of which we don't actually know what it measures.