Re: Devices as Virtual Web Services

On Jan 22, 2010, at 10:55 , Adam Barth wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Frederick Hirsch
> <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:
>> - the potential need for using a different protocol that isn't widely used
>> (Bayeux Comet protocol),
>
> You don't need Comet.  You can just use server-sent events:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/

Right, I thought of that, but I was looking for solutions that introduce as little new browser infrastructure as possible (I could be out of date, but last I looked SSE support wasn't super high on feature lists). We can solve anything by relying on infrastructural additions.

That being said if there is more drive behind SSE than I'd realised, it certainly does help.

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards