URN UUID on Contacts / Calendar ids

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:18:56 +0100
To: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi,

The contacts API currently recommends to use a urn:uuid for the id
attribute on individual contacts:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-contacts-api-20100121/#attributes-1

Likewise, the editors draft of the calendar API for individual events:
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/calendar/#attributes-1

I don't think it makes sense to recommend using a specific URI scheme on
one hand, and not mandating the id to be a URI on the other hand.

I would suggest we simply say that the id must be unique, and that UUID
are a possible solution to make unique ids, without introducing a URI
scheme in the discussion at all.