Re: Why aren't most devices virtual web services?

From: Kenton Varda <kenton@google.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:08:44 -0800
To: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>, Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>, Ilkka Oksanen <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org Policy WG" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Marcin Hanclik <
Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com> wrote:

> There seems to be little difference between
> urlToObject(url, interface)
> and existing mechanisms of inclusion of the .js file, or?

It would save a little bit of bandwidth as the UA would only have to
download the interface description, not an implementation.  But I agree that
this may not be worth the complication of standardizing this transformation
or implementing urlToObject() itself.  Including a .js library is probably a
better plan.