Re: Why aren't most devices virtual web services?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 22:19:03 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "ext Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Adam Barth wrote:

> I think Mark's suggestion is to make these APIs webby by giving them
> URLs and letting code interact with them the same way code interacts
> with every other web service.  Instead of having these URLs represent
> remote services, they would represent local services.  This lets us
> leverage a lot of existing infrastructure, especially in terms of
> privacy and security, and aligns the device APIs with the web
> architecture.

I like this idea. It would mean, for instance, that Web-based contacts
services (e.g. Facebook) could plug into the same API that the local
contacts database uses. Similarly, sites could use a common Calendar API
and the user could decide if it should use the system calendar, or some
Web-based calendar.