RE: Camera properties (Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review)

So the way that we've looked at this in BONDI is that the device status
API [1] allows a developer a point of reference to gather all the global
data they need before presenting something nice to the user. Previously
developers have only had static information such as UAProf and 3rd party
device databases to use.

So this allows for greater flexibility in devices. For example, if the
device doesn't have a camera at all then the application is
significantly different. Presence of a function is often not enough
though and in a lot of cases, it is good to have some fine-grained
information. If that isn't supported then it is easy to present as such
to the developer. I guess it is just an architecture choice but device
status is more of a very extensible registry that you can go straight to
and know that it will always be there before you start doing other
stuff.

Cheers,

David.

[1] http://bondi.omtp.org/1.1/cr/apis/devicestatus.html