Re: CPU API (Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review)

On 6 Jan 2010, at 11:32, Max Froumentin wrote:

>> - What's our use case for *setting* CPU frequency from a Web
>> application?
>
> To be able to throttle the CPU, like those applications that allow you
> to select between "conservative", "performance", "power saving" profiles.

But that's typically not a feature of an individual application, and certainly not a feature of an individual Web application.  I'm concerned that we're getting seriously confused about abstraction levels here.

>> - CPU load (and detailed power consumption along with it) can be a
>> data leak.  I'd like the spec to be clear that this value will
>> generally be an average taken over time,
>
> That's up to the implementation to decide I would expect. Or we would have to specify how to sample battery levels, ambient temperature. It's like blurring the picture of a contact in the Contact API, in a way.
>
> and I'd like the spec to
>> caution against just making this information available.
>
> I'm happy to add whatever text will come out of the Policy work.

Security considerations for individual APIs should be in scope for the specification of that API.  In this case:

	"The ability to gather detailed information about power consumption and timing of a CPU can lead to leakage of information about data processed by that CPU.  Implementations should return average values taken over suitable intervals of time."

... or some such.