Re: Devices as Virtual Web Services

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:15:08 +0100
Cc: "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, "Frederick Hirsch" <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, "ext Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
On Feb 10, 2010, at 13:55 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:52:40 +0100, Nilsson, Claes1 <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
>> Yes, there are different implementation alternatives. However, with a REST approach it is possible to implement "device APIs" through a local (downloadable) server. This opens up for API extensibility.
>
> Maybe. I think you still need some amount of browser involvement to let the user associate services with the URI the API evolves around and indicate which other services may access the data.

At the very least some amount of browser involvement would be desirable for discoverability yes  but it can be avoided as well. Though ideally (in my view at least) the LREST runtime would also be implemented by the browser as it does allow for some serious performance improvements at the very least.

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko  hired gun, higher standards