See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 15 December 2010
<fjh> trackbot-ng, start telecon
<trackbot> Meeting: Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference
<trackbot> Date: 15 December 2010
<scribe> scribeNick: nwidell
<fjh> new WD of the Contacts API spec published - http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-contacts-api-20101209/
<fjh> no meeting 22, 29 December. Next meeting 5 January, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2010Dec/0000.html
<fjh> Approve 8 December minutes http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Dec/att-0028/minutes-2010-12-08.html
<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 8 December 2010 approved
RESOLUTION: Minutes from 8 December 2010 approved
<fjh> Permission for pop-up windows, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Dec/0021.html
<fjh> robin, ties into permissions and trusted events
<dom> ACTION: Dom to look into pop-up windows in Permissions draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-315 - Look into pop-up windows in Permissions draft [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2010-12-22].
<fjh> Next step for Feature Permissions, http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebNotifications/publish/FeaturePermissions.html
<fjh> laszlo has signed up to edit this document, suggest laszlo arrange now for CVS access and update editor list as first step
fjh: first step is to put text into CVS, add Laszlo as editor
<AnssiK> [ re popup windows topic, IE has a proprietary showModalDialog() allowing some customization, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ]
robin: There has been a new draft, some discussions about time zones
... a few additional ideas but nothing that changes things in major ways
... Chris Hunt offered help
... wrt TimeZoneDate
<richt> Christopher was highlighting a point wrt the timezone attribute within the Contact interface.
fjh: what should we ask Christopher for help with?
<richt> This needs to be updated to a timezone identifier, not a fixed time like +05:30.
<richt> Not sure what level of contribution he wants to make.
<dom> [there is overlap with TZDate, since both need to refer to timezone identifiers
richt: I will reply on the list
robin: Contact Blob Writer
<fjh> Blobwriter, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Dec/0017.html
richt: we might not need a contacts saving API after all if the File API (Directories and System) comes along
<dom> an Appendix in Contacts API with a detailed example would be great
<fjh> richt notes we might not need contact writer at all
<fjh> or contacts blobwriter
<dom> +1 too
<dom> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Drop Contacts Writer in favor of update-via-download mechanism documented in Contacts API appendix
<dom> (this relates to ISSUE-97)
<trackbot> ISSUE-97 -- Write-access difficulties (in contacts and other APIs), see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jul/0112.html -- raised
richt: Put example in Contacts API wrt writing
robin: this may be used in other specs as well
<richt> cool :)
RESOLUTION: Drop Contacts Writer in favor of update-via-download mechanism documented in Contacts API appendix
<dom> close ISSUE-97
<trackbot> ISSUE-97 Write-access difficulties (in contacts and other APIs), see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jul/0112.html closed
Random problem with cut and paste, sigh
<dom> ISSUE-97: also resolved to drop Contacts Writer in favor of update-via-download mechanism documented in Contacts API appendix
<trackbot> ISSUE-97 Write-access difficulties (in contacts and other APIs), see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Jul/0112.html notes added
<darobin> Media Capture
<dom> ACTION: Richard to describe contacts write in Appendix of Contacts API [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-316 - Describe contacts write in Appendix of Contacts API [on Richard Tibbett - due 2010-12-22].
robin: might be problematic with fake media type in the future
... suggestion to use an attribute as a cleaner way to solve problem
... maybe we can use the "role" attribute
<fjh> As the role attribute already exists, we avoid issue of needing to add an attribute
<fjh> seems good idea not to have to make changes to HTML5 and to use existing attribute
<dom> [I don't think the role attribute is actually part of HTML5 yet]
lgombos: can the two solutions co-exist?
robin: will need to be discussed with android people
<fjh> suggestion is that we could make this proposal and if needed android could migrate to it
richt: Is it ok to mix URIs and non-URIs in this, ref to RDF
<dom> [I'm unclear whether using role for this is a proper use for this attribute; I think we ought to ask WAI PF for their input]
richt: we should be supportive of android way
<darobin> ACTION: Robin to ping Andrei about using @role instead of mime parameters [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-317 - Ping Andrei about using @role instead of mime parameters [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-12-22].
<darobin> ACTION: Robin to ping WAI about using @role for capture [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-318 - Ping WAI about using @role for capture [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-12-22].
robin: we need to coordinate more ...
<richt> we should reflect current implementation where possible, which is Android in this case.
robin: there are many stakeholders, will see what external input brings
robin: Francois sent use cases based on discussion at F2F.
richt: the focus is around file system and device element,
<fjh> richt notes file system mounting of device could be a partial solution
richt: Francois Use cases were about indexing stuff, however a lot of the preview stuff is already in file pickers
<richt> <device type="fs"/>...which is not really specified at the moment.
<trackbot> ACTION-314 -- Anssi Kostiainen to react on media gallery use cases -- due 2010-12-15 -- OPEN
<dom> +1 on trying to write code to see how it would actually work
anssik: One should write some code towards the API to try out what works, what is lacking etc
<richt> code says 1000 words :)
anssik: will ensure that we create beautiful APIs.
<fjh> ACTION-314: suggestion to write code to see how it might work
<trackbot> ACTION-314 React on media gallery use cases notes added
<dom> richt, you meant code says 1010 words (or maybe 1024 words?) :)
anssik: tried writing some code against FIle API, many callbacks, slightly cumbersome to use
<richt> dom, I was rounding down ;)
robin: has been discussed on the list, are we ready to push this out?
<dom> [if we want to publish before moratorium, publication request needs to come in before 12pm ET]
<fjh> [might make more sense to publish in January, so it gets visibility etc]
<darobin> +1 to January
maria: will finish of the API next week
<fjh> another reason is not to rush, to avoid errors in the editing or process
dom: the name question, shouldn't make api less powerful than what is available in existing schemes
<darobin> +1 to the API being a superset of URI schemes
maria: that's ok
<trackbot> ACTION-86 -- Robin Berjon to update Core Devices -- due 2010-01-27 -- OPEN
robin: should we publish, a very thin spec?
<darobin> ACTION-86: describe event looping there
<trackbot> ACTION-86 Update Core Devices notes added
richt: yes, but need some work wrt event loop, also navigator.service etc
<trackbot> ACTION-104 -- David Rogers to add use case related to Domain spoofing and trust in the network layer (ISSUE-37) -- due 2010-03-17 -- OPEN
<trackbot> ACTION-130 -- Richard Tibbett to propose changes to calendar specification to address privacy minimization -- due 2010-10-22 -- OPEN
richt: will not have time to work with it
<fjh> richt notes main issue in calendar is TimeZoneDate
robin: calendar should reuse much of contacts
<fjh> richt, same approach for calendar as contacts toward minimization, but work still required to do this
<richt> calendar can reflect contacts exactly. the only difference will be the Calendar object (in place of the Contact object).
<darobin> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Calendar should be as much as possible modelled on Contacts, same privacy and security, mostly fields changing
<fjh> ACTION: fjh to send proposed list of actions to close related to policy [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action05]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-319 - Send proposed list of actions to close related to policy [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2010-12-22].
RESOLUTION: Calendar should be as much as possible modelled on Contacts, same privacy and security, mostly fields changing
<darobin> close ACTION-130
<trackbot> ACTION-130 Propose changes to calendar specification to address privacy minimization closed
<darobin> ACTION: Richt to make Calendar like Contacts in every possible way [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/15-dap-minutes.html#action06]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-320 - Make Calendar like Contacts in every possible way [on Richard Tibbett - due 2010-12-22].
<trackbot> ACTION-145 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide an architectural flow for Policy Reqs -- due 2010-03-25 -- OPEN
<trackbot> ACTION-150 -- David Rogers to send BONDI experience with testing for device APIs -- due 2010-03-25 -- OPEN
<darobin> close ACTION-150
<trackbot> ACTION-150 Send BONDI experience with testing for device APIs closed
<trackbot> ACTION-181 -- Bryan Sullivan to to review API and Ontology for Media Resource API -- due 2010-07-07 -- OPEN
<darobin> close ACTION-181
<trackbot> ACTION-181 to review API and Ontology for Media Resource API closed
<darobin> close ACTION-210
<trackbot> ACTION-210 Summarize and add issues to ruleset doc closed
<trackbot> ACTION-213 -- Dong-Young Lee to review sysinfo draft after edits made -- due 2010-07-21 -- OPEN
<darobin> close ACTION-213
<trackbot> ACTION-213 Review sysinfo draft after edits made closed
<trackbot> ACTION-214 -- Thomas Roessler to request IETF community review of sysinfo API Last Call WD through W3C/IETF liaison channel -- due 2010-01-31 -- OPEN
<trackbot> ACTION-229 -- Richard Tibbett to go through http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5546 and ensure the bindings provided map -- due 2010-10-22 -- OPEN
<trackbot> ACTION-230 -- Wojciech Maslowski to specify "add to calendar" based on ICS-objects opening -- due 2010-08-05 -- OPEN
<fjh> wmaslowski, do you know the status of this action, ACTION-230 Specify "add to calendar" based on ICS-objects openingWojciech Maslowski
<trackbot> ACTION-251 -- John Morris to review privacy text related to ISSUE-78 for capture -- due 2010-10-20 -- OPEN
<trackbot> ISSUE-72 -- Usage of URIs for sms, tel:, etc in PIM APIs -- raised
<darobin> close ISSUE-72
<trackbot> ISSUE-72 Usage of URIs for sms, tel:, etc in PIM APIs closed
<fjh> ISSUE-72: clarifying whether a JS API even makes sense when URI schemes have been defined as an alternative mechanism for at least some of the technology. Have determined JS APIs make sense in some cases.
<trackbot> ISSUE-72 Usage of URIs for sms, tel:, etc in PIM APIs notes added
<Zakim> richt, you wanted to discuss AOB
richt: thoughts on bringing device into DAP
robin: there are many interested parties, IETF is working on rtc-web, but not entirely sure about how to get the right people in the same room
... should it be a WG of its own, part of dap, html, etc, ?
... comments about working groups should go right to Dom
richt: would be useful to have <device> in DAP