Feedback on ContactBlobWriter

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:46:34 +0100
To: Rich Tibbett <rich.tibbett@gmail.com>
Cc: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi Rich,

I took an action item (ACTION-298) to review your draft
ContactBlobWriter [1].

>From what I understand, it allows to create and save a new contact: to
do that, it creates a Blob object with the contacts information, and
then generates a URI that can be associated with e.g. a link to allow
for user download.

While the Blob-from-contacts method looks like a useful abstraction, I'm
not sure I see the point of generating specifically a URI for it: surely
the FileWriter API is the sufficient abstraction for the user-download
part?

Regarding blob-from-contacts, I also wonder if we actually need to
create a dedicated method for this; it seems to be this could be
something provided by an external JavaScript library that would
serialize the contacts information in whatever format is best adapted to
the user/application needs (vcard, poco, etc). The one thing that the
browser could provide to facilitate that work is the list of contacts
formats supported by the underlying contacts application (which is
something that probably would be worth extending to a more general
approach, possibly as part of the stalled work on application launcher).

Dom

1. http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/BlobWriter.html