ISSUE-78 - capture minimization with EXIF data

From: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:46:45 +0100
To: <public-device-apis@w3.org>
CC: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
On today's teleconference we discussed closing ISSUE-78. The rationale for closing the issue is that there is an editors note about it in the HTML Media Capture draft, and that details of dealing with the minimization are implementation dependent (e.g. enabling the option not to record the data for example).

ISSUE-78 -- Capture has a minimisation problem with EXIF data (e.g. it could be Geotagged) -- open, http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/78

The following note is in HTML Media Capture, see http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/#security :

[[
In addition to the requirements already highlighted in the [HTML5] and [FILE-API] specifications, implementors should take care of additional leakage of privacy-sensitive data from captured media. For instance, embedding the userís location in a captured media metadata (e.g. EXIF) might transmit more private data than the user might be expecting.
]]

The Media Capture API does not have such a warning - it probably should as well?   see http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview-API.html#security

Once we update the Media Capture API appropriately, is there any objection to closing this issue?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia