Re: contact formats -- IETF/OMA/PoCo/W3C convergence?

The W3C DAP Contacts API is operating in the space between the device and
the web in a similar way to the 'Mozilla Lab's Contacts as First Class
objects' initiative [1]. We're not the first group to need to consider what
'contact' should mean in this mode - whether we accept a device-facing (e.g.
vCard) or web-facing (e.g. PoCo) paradigm or whether there is sane
singularity to be found somewhere in between.

I wonder if discussions within IETF vcarddav on aligning Portable Contacts
and vCard is producing any results and whether vCard v4 is capable of
providing mappings or alignment to Portable Contacts...and by proxy
long-needed clarity to this issue within W3C, prior to publication of the
vCard v4 RFC.

We will not invent a new contact format or a subset thereof within W3C. In
order to make that assumption stick we need some clear signals from your
respective working groups on a unified way forward wrt contact formats.

- Rich

[1] http://mozillalabs.com/contacts