W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > April 2010

Draft Minutes 2010-04-14 (v2)

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:28:44 -0400
Message-Id: <BB63121F-CBFA-45C5-8154-EA2C43A4E96A@nokia.com>
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Draft Minutes from 2010-04-14 for approval (v2), HTML follows text.  
Thanks  Ilkka for taking minutes.

Added David Rogers to regrets list.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia




# Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

## 14 Apr 2010

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    fjh, Dom, darobin, AnssiK, ilkka, maxf, John_Morris, LauraA, wonsuk,
richt, Ruth_Vazquez, Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran,
Ilkka_Oksanen, Alissa_Cooper, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Anssi_Kostiainen,
Wonsuk_Lee, Max_Froumentin, Richard_Tibbett, Aurelien_Guillou, Maria_Oteo,
Laura_Arribas

Regrets

    Daniel_Baiges, Marco_Marengo, Suresh_Chitturi, Marcin_Hanclik,
David_Rogers, Claes_Nilsson

Chair

    Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    ilkka

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Administrative][6]

    2. [Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection][7]

    3. [Minutes Approval][8]

    4. [Policy Discussion - Privacy Rulesets][9]

    5. [Policy Framework][10]

    6. [API Discussion][11]

    7. [Messaging CfC][12]

    8. [SysInfo][13]

    9. [Calendaring][14]

    10. [File System][15]

    11. [AOB][16]

  * [Summary of Action Items][17]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 14 April 2010

<darobin> ah

### Administrative

<fjh> ScribeNick: ilkka

### Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection

<fjh> 13-15 July 2010 F2F, London

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0019.html][18]

fjh: 13-15 July is still the proposed date

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0029.html][19]

### Minutes Approval

<fjh> 7 April 2010

robin: email thread started about the bug in ReSpec, be aware of that

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/att-0015/minutes-2010-04-07.html][20]

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: minutes from 7 April approved

**RESOLUTION: minutes from 7 April approved**

### Policy Discussion - Privacy Rulesets

<fjh> rulesets draft [http://www.cdt.org/temp/privacy-rulesets.html][21]

alissa: three elements: sharing, secondaty use and retention

... most important things covered

<fjh> suggest we need section noting that URIs will be associated with ruleset
and conveyed

alissa: for elements set of attributes are defined

<dom> [Frederick's comments][22]

<dom> +1 on separating the ontology and the format for the time being

<jmorris> 2. For secondary use, 3.2, I do not understand why delivering ads is
considered contextual or desired by the user. If I want a reminder of an
event, ads are not part an inherent part of that interaction (or is the
suggestion that they are in order to pay for it?) Isn't this the marketing-or-
profiling category?

jmorris: Frederick has valid question about contextual ads, are they part of
secondary use

<fjh> s/^marketing-or-profiling catego//

<fjh> s/^the suggestion that they are in order to pay for it?) Isn't this the
//

<fjh> s/^an event, ads are not part an inherent part of that interaction (or
is//

<fjh> s/^considered contextual or desired by the user. If I want a reminder
of//

<dom> (my calculation was that the current attributes make for 432 possible
options)

<fjh> s/^2. For secondary use, 3.2, I do not understand why delivering ads
is//

jmorris: simplicity is essential

<fjh> john noted re point #2 that ads could be considered not contextual use
but included for pragmatic reasons to enable adoption

<maoteo> maria present

<fjh> richard asks about how rulesets will be interpreted by various parties
in workflow

<fjh> alissa notes that policy might not have an impact on law enforcement

<fjh> we might need a side note as to when rulesets might not be followed.

<fjh> richard notes that best practices for selection of profiles is needed

richt: it's must be logical for people to select the groups of data collectors
that can get the information

<richt> The suggestion is that profiles are really the business end of
privacy. Millions of developers are going to have to be able to choose a
profile or ruleset that defines their service...

fjh: are there privacy glossary somewhere what we can reference

<richt> The suggestion is that privacy rulesets could be group centric (e.g.
internal (service) usage, public access, 3rd-parties, law enforcement)...

<richt> which may allow people to logically 'follow their data' and digest and
understand the data being provided...

<richt> ...to different entities.

<fjh> Privacy Requirements

p3p mentioned as an option

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0016.html][23]

### Policy Framework

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0020.html][24]

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0030.html][25]

<dom> Dom: fwiw, I agree we should continue working on the document to get a
better idea of the scope, but I'm still concerned about the amount of
specification work that specifying the whole of this would require

<fjh> Laura agrees we should review scope of material of document

<fjh> to be used

fjh: next steps to be agreed on the mailing list

### API Discussion

### Messaging CfC

darobin: Messaging API CfC ongoing

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010/0027.html][26]

darobin: Comments received from Suresh

<maxf> +1

<dom> Dom: suresh made a point about the scope missing message management

<dom> ... given that FPWD is about scoping

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0018.html][27]

<dom> ... I'm concerned that we don't have even a sketch of what this would be
for FPWD

robin: first public draft for Messaging will be delayed

<maxf> … until we figure out whether to add Message Management to the
specification

<darobin> proposed RESOLUTION: Messaging FPWD delayed until we have full scope

robin: main missing features are mailboxes, filtering and searching

<darobin> ACTION maxf to list scope of remaining work on Messaging before FPWD

<trackbot> Created ACTION-160 - List scope of remaining work on Messaging
before FPWD [on Max Froumentin - due 2010-04-21].

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to suggest maybe splitting work?

dom: alternative option is to split messaging spec into two parts

<fjh> deciding on whether to split depends on time required for the additional
decisions and work?

darobin: I want to see proposal first before deciding

<Zakim> fjh, you wanted to ask about time frame

maxf: probably it will not take long time to come up with the needed additions

<darobin> **ACTION:** maxf to make a proposal for Message Management,
including whether it would be split from the main spec or not [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-dap-minutes.html#action01][28]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-161 - Make a proposal for Message Management,
including whether it would be split from the main spec or not [on Max
Froumentin - due 2010-04-21].

### SysInfo

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0044.html][29]

<fjh> ISSUE-79?

<trackbot> ISSUE-79 -- Fingerprinting privacy issue related to sysinfo, need
for feedback on privacy risk -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/79][30]

<fjh> related to minimization

maxf: comment is about access control and minimization

<dom> [API Checklist][31]

robin: minimization is not specific issue to SysInfo

dom: check list is mainly for the last call

maxf: orientation comment is tricky to solve

... more people should review the sections in SysInfo they are interested

darobin: last call will wake up people

<darobin> RESOLUTION: Publish a heartbeat WD of Sysinfo

<darobin> ACTION Robin to make SysInfo ready for pub

<trackbot> Created ACTION-162 - Make SysInfo ready for pub [on Robin Berjon -
due 2010-04-21].

### Calendaring

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0043.html][32]

robin: calendar problems are challenging

<richt> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0183.html][33]

<fjh> dom suggests proposal - only gregorian for recurrence

dom: I support Richard's proposal of not supporting non-Gregorian calendars
for recurrence

<fjh> dom suggests deferring more complicated approach to v2

<richt> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0176.html][34]

richt: time for decisions

<dom> dom: we could support only bounded-recurrence for non-Gregorian
calendars

robin: summary mail should be generated

<darobin> ACTION Robin to email i18n about the various options for calendaring

<trackbot> Created ACTION-163 - Email i18n about the various options for
calendaring [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-04-21].

<dom> ... (i.e. in cases where there is only a finite number of events to be
stored)

richt: some progress made offline

... Should DAP extend ECMA Date object? Open question

### File System

darobin: File API: system and directories is progressing nicely

<darobin> [][35]

<darobin> please review :)

### AOB

<richt> richt: would be useful to resolve a couple of key issues (i.e.
timezones and non-gregorian calendar support) on the mailing list this week
for a semi-stable editor's draft to be published for the Calendar API...

<richt> I'd like to do this before next call.

robin: meeting adjourned

<wonsuk> bye. Thanks.

<maoteo> ;)

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** maxf to make a proposal for Message Management,
including whether it would be split from the main spec or not [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-dap-minutes.html#action01][28]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][36] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][37])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0032.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #ActionSummary

   [18]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0019.html

   [19]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0029.html

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/att-0015/minutes-2010-04-07.html

   [21]: http://www.cdt.org/temp/privacy-rulesets.html

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0047.html

   [23]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0016.html

   [24]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0020.html

   [25]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0030.html

   [26]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010/0027.html

   [27]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0018.html

   [28]: http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [29]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0044.html

   [30]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/79

   [31]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ApiCheckList

   [32]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0043.html

   [33]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0183.html

   [34]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0176.html

   [35]: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-dir-sys.html

   [36]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [37]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



Received on Wednesday, 14 April 2010 15:29:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:53:43 UTC