RE: ISSUE-7: Gathering requirements [Calendar API]

From: <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:22:24 +0200
To: <dom@w3.org>, <marcosc@opera.com>
Cc: <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>, <robin@robineko.com>, <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On Sep 29, 2009 at 10:09, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> Le mardi 29 septembre 2009 à 10:16 +0200, Marcos Caceres a écrit :
> > Sorry to be PITA, but I'm still not clear about the use cases for a
> > calendar API? Why can't a calendar API just be built on-top of
> > JavaScript using WebStorage, etc.? Is the intention to
> interact with a
> > device's "calendar" capability?
>
> That's the intention, indeed; the API should allow a Web app
> to register an event in my device calendar, or check if I've
> already registered it, etc.

My understanding would also be that while the primary intention is to interact with a device's calendar(s), like most APIs the Calendar API is just an abstract representation of a calendering service. It could be implemented via WebStorage, via the Device or any number of other ways if so desired. I would apply this concept to most APIs in scope.