Re: ISSUE-7: Gathering requirements [Calendar API]

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:08:53 +0200
To: marcosc@opera.com
Cc: richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com, anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com, robin@robineko.com, public-device-apis@w3.org
Le mardi 29 septembre 2009 à 10:16 +0200, Marcos Caceres a écrit :
> Sorry to be PITA, but I'm still not clear about the use cases for a
> calendar API? Why can't a calendar API just be built on-top of
> JavaScript using WebStorage, etc.? Is the intention to interact with a
> device's "calendar" capability?

That's the intention, indeed; the API should allow a Web app to register
an event in my device calendar, or check if I've already registered it,
etc.

>  Or is it to have some kind of calendar
> application available to every Web document? does locking this API so
> some calendar format limit it's applicability (i.e., only
> exports/imports format X), hence making it less able to scale or allow
> for innovation/extensions?

I think the idea of using iCalendar as the basis for that API is that
most devices calendars support iCalendar in one way or another, and
thus, an API modeled on top of that format is likely to be usefully
implementable on a large number of devices.