Re: ISSUE-4: Versioning Straw Poll

On 27.8.2009 15.48, "ext Robin Berjon" <robin@robineko.com> wrote:
> Here's the SP:
>
>    This house believes that explicit version mechanisms on an API, such
>    as have been done elsewhere using for instance hasFeature(), a version
>    attribute on interface object, or a version parameter passed to a
>    constructor are not useful in a web context and should be forsaken.
>    Future revisions to given interfaces should either be strictly additive,
>    change names, or ensure that what limited deltas are made do not
>    break real-world code.

I Agree.

(IMHO object detection -- the best practice adopted among JavaScript
developers for checking feature support -- is a pragmatic and reasonably
robust mechanism. Additionally, based on a quick scan of some major
JavaScript libraries none of them relied on hasFeature() to fight against
DOM quirks [I grepped through the latest of jQuery, Dojo Toolkit, MooTools
and Prototype].)

-Anssi

BTW. What's the netiquette of this WG ML with regard to posting style? I.e.
do we prefer inline, top and/or bottom posting?