Re: ISSUE-11: Gathering requirements [FileSystem API]

Hi Claes,

On Oct 20, 2009, at 16:26 , Nilsson, Claes1 wrote:
> 2) The scenarios you describe will not be possible if we assume that
> only digitally signed web applications, e.g. Web Widgets signed
> according to http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-digsig/, are allowed to
> access the proposed "secure data storage" API. A widget's content
> can of course be copied and altered but access to the "secure data
> storage" API will in this case be denied by the device's widget
> runtime as the signature will be invalid.

I think that the issue here is that we cannot design APIs around these
assumptions. If an API is intended to be 100% specific to widgets,
then its place is in TWI: http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-apis/ or
another API created by the WebApps WG.

DAP APIs are intended to be generic, and usable in an open Web context.

I am concerned (again) that this discussion has veered off track with
security considerations way too early. Most of the APIs we're looking
at are potentially dangerous — that's why this WG has a policy side as
well. Frankly, Mr Evil can steal my Facebook password as much as he
wants; I'll be a whole lot more pissed off if he can write to my file
system (which is what this issue is about in the first place).

So back to functionality, can we see some code of what you would
expect this API to look like? Maybe a little WebIDL snippet? And a few
comments explaining what goes on, how it differs from storing
credentials in localStorage, etc.?

--
Robin Berjon
   robineko — hired gun, higher standards