Re: What does it all hang off of?

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:49:48 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2009, at 14:38 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:32:41 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Another option is to hang off of the navigator object just like
>>> geolocation did — but that seems wrong (I'm not sure why it was chosen
>>> there).
>>
>> window.navigator seems like a good place for device/user agent-related
>> APIs to me. It may not be ideal, but we're not defining the platform
>> from scratch.
>
> Yeah I know that, but it seems entirely unrelated to the navigator
> (apart in the sense that that's what it's implemented by, but then so is
> everything else). These APIs don't seem very UA related.

The Navigator object already has many device-related APIs:

  * platform
  * onLine
  * registerProtocolHandler()
  * registerContentHandler()
  * language (not in any standard at the moment)
  * geolocation

Simplest thing seems to be to admit the name is wrong. :-)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/