Re: Rename “File API” to “FileReader API”?

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 02:28:08 -0800
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
CC: public-device-apis@w3.org, public-webapps@w3.org
Greetings Dom!

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> I alluded to this during the joint F2F meeting between WebApps and DAP
> last week, but thought I would make the proposal more formally: given
> that the current “File API” [1] really defines a FileReader interface,
> and given that DAP is supposed to come up with a more generic
> filesystems API (including the possibility to write to files), I suggest
> that “File API” should be renamed to “FileReader API.”
>
> Dom

Discussion about renaming shows that there isn't really consensus about
a name change [1][2], so I haven't proceeded with one.  I'd rather
proceed without a name change for now, but work towards evolving file
write capabilities safely for the web based on this API.  I'm not averse
to multiple specifications (and better naming later on), if we find that
use cases diverge between groups.  Some editorial help has been
forthcoming [3], which is welcome.

-- A*

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/0604.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/0572.html