Re: Policy and browsers (was Re: Policy work items - request for proposals)

In general, we have little desire to implement APIs where a webpage can do
something that then throws up an infobar / dialog / question of any sort to
the user. It gets annoying. Even the current geolocation API is annoying
(every time i go to google.com on my mobile phone it asks if i want to
enable geolocation. I do not. Now I have geolocation disabled entirely so I
don't get that question.)

Something like <input type=contact>, which had a button and some associated
display, would mean that a website couldn't do something to annoy me or
cause popup dialogs to happen.

This is why I think it's insane to try to talk about policy and API design
separately. We have no interest in APIs that are wholly programmatic and
require some policy layer.