Re: Geolocation WG taking up work on Orientation/Acceleration

Dear Robin,

On Nov 9, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 15:29 , Christian Timmerer (ITEC) wrote:
>> MPEG-21 DIA Usage Environment Description defines Mobility
>> Characteristics for a User. The excerpt from the schema you can
>> find below and the full schema is available at [1]. As this is
>> somewhat related it might be helpful for (some of) you. If you need
>> information on the semantics, please let me know.
>
> I guess that this is more a topic for our Geolocation friends since
> they're taking over this work item, but in general since I am
> reasonably confident that very few people here will want to read an
> XML Schema (let alone chase up dependencies in the MPEG-7 schema :)
> can you summarise:
I'm sorry, I didn't know that... please find responses to your
questions below.

>  - what this sub-segment of MPEG-21 does
"There are two tools standardized by DIA that target location-based
characteristics of a User: mobility characteristics and destination.
The first of these tools aims to provide a concise description of the
movement of a User over time. In particular, directivity, location
update intervals and erraticity are specified. Directivity is defined
to be the amount of angular change in the direction of the movement of
a User compared to the previous measurement. The location update
interval defines the time interval between two consecutive location
updates of a particular User. Erraticity defines the degree of
randomness in a User's movement. Together, these descriptions can be
used to classify Users, e.g., as pedestrians, highway vehicles, etc.
Destination is a tool to indicate, as the name implies, the
destination of a User, i.e., an intended location at a future time.
The destination itself may be specified very precisely, e.g., with
geographic coordinates, or more conceptually using a specified list of
terms. In conjunction with the mobility characteristics, this tool
could also be used for adaptive location-aware services" [1].  If I
remember correctly, the work is based on [2].

>  - what is particularly good about it that leads you to suggest that
> we reuse it (or at least take a look)
It is because I think it's related to the subject of this email, in
particular on "Orientation/Acceleration"...

>  - if there is a WebIDL expression of the same
No but the MPEG Extensible Middleware (MXM) [3] defines APIs to a
broad range of MPEG technologies.

As said previously, if you need the exact semantics, I can provide it
and believe me, the MPEG-7 stuff used here is not so complicated as
one might think. Actually, the mpeg7:GeographicPointType consists of
three attributes, longitude, latitude, and altitude ;-) The same holds
for mpeg7:TimeType and mpeg7:probabilityVector

Best regards,
  -Christian

[1] Anthony Vetro and Christian Timmerer, Digital Item Adaptation:
Overview of Standardization and Research Activities, IEEE Transactions
on Multimedia, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 418-426, June 2005.
[2] Sahinoglu, Z.; Vetro, A., "Mobility Characteristics for Multimedia
Service Adaptation", Signal Processing: Image Communication, Vol. 18,
Issue 8, pp. 699-719, September 2003 (http://www.merl.com/reports/docs/TR2003-53.pdf
)
[3] http://mxm.wg11.sc29.org/