From: w3c-ac-forum-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-ac-forum-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of T.V Raman
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:29 AM
To: plh@w3.org
Cc: raman@google.com; arun@mozilla.com; w3c-ac-forum@w3.org; public-device-apis@w3.org; dougt@mozilla.com; dbaron@mozilla.com; tlr@w3.org
Subject: Re: Seeking feedback on a new WG to specify APIs for device services

Still trying to shed some light in the fog ...

It's been clearly heard by all involved that the webapps group is
overloaded.

It's also clear that if additional work were added there, that
group would need more structure --- perhaps it could be said that
it needs more structure even for its current set of work items.

That said, both your assertions "extra work needs more resources"
and "extra work requires more liaison"
are equally true of whether new work is done in a separate WG or
in an existing WG, so going forward, I'd request that such
assertions not be  made  in a form that implies that they  apply
to one, and not the other.

Also, in my experience, the W3C when creating new WGs often
creates new activities as an umbrella for the  new WG (I give you
multimodal, ubiqeb, video) --- and usually states "activities are
"just a management too" --- but in my experience, I usually find
that once approved, some perhaps only slightly related WG  also
shows up in the new activity alongside the WG  that was being
originally discussed.

Of course, the complex tree structure in the org that gets
created then makes liaison activity even more complex.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Title:  Research Scientist