Re: Seeking Clarification of Patent Licensing Commitments for BONDI APIs [was: Re: Early comparison of Nokia/BONDI APIs]

From: Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:50:27 -0400
Cc: "Hirsch Frederick (Nokia-CIC/Boston)" <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>, stefan@engel-flechsig.de
To: ext David Rogers <david.rogers@omtp.org>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
David, All,

On Jul 30, 2009, at 2:03 PM, ext David Rogers wrote:

> The Turin Rules[1] require that all BONDI members and contributors
> make
> and abide by the W3C Royalty Free commitments either as members or
> non-members. The contribution that we have submitted as OMTP
> Limited is
> on behalf of the entire membership and their intent that the work be
> submitted under those terms.

Your use of "entire membership" here implies every OMTP member is a
member of BONDI and consequently, every OMTP member has agreed to the
Turin Rules for these DAP WG inputs. Is this true?

Also, there appear to be members of OTMP/BONDI that are not members
of the DAP WG [1] (e.g. Ericsson, Ikivo). Would you please confirm
the difference list i.e. which OMTP/BONDI members contributed to the
inputs submitted to the DAP WG but are not a member of DAP?

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/43696/status