RE: <device> proposal (for video conferencing, etc)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:46:23 +0000 (UTC)
To: Nick Lothian <nlothian@educationau.edu.au>
Cc: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Ben Murdoch <benm@google.com>
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Nick Lothian wrote:

> > > Won't that go via a server, which could potentially transcode?
> >
> > When we do go through a server, it would certainly be better if the
> > server didn't have to transcode every frame. That's a lot of load on
> > the server. But I think ideally we'd eventually come up with a
> > client-to-client protocol, and so the server couldn't transcode even
> > if it wanted to.
>
> Do you consider the client-to-client protocol to be in scope at the
> moment, or is that far-future work?

I don't know. If we do introduce a client-to-client protocol, I'd imagine
we'd want to reuse an existing one, so that we don't have to resolve all
the NAT traversal issues. (Simplicity wouldn't be as high a priority in
this case as in the client-server case, since we'd expect far fewer
independent implementations, so there'd be less to gain by developing a
whole new protocol than there was with, e.g., Web Sockets.) I'm not
familiar with existing protocols for this, though.